Grosse Ile was the first English Community to have their own municipality. After separating from the Municipality of Havre-aux-Maisons, Grosse Ile became an independent community on November 29, 1892. Grosse Ile remained an independent municipality until a forced merger by the provincial government in 2001, thus becoming part of the Municipalité des Îles-de-la-Madeleine. In 2004, the community held a referendum and voted to preserve and maintain their municipality once again. The Municipality of Grosse Ile was reconstituted on January 1, 2006 and holds a seat on the Magdalen Islands' Agglomeration Council.
Wynn Currie (2006); Historical Heritage of English Communities on the Magdalen Islands; p.41; CAMI